WhatsApp is an amazing application for sharing photos and videos with your friends and family. Therefore, we might receive many photos and videos in this app daily. Usually, we use the gallery to view these photos and videos instead of viewing them directly on WhatsApp. But sometimes WhatsApp images are not displayed in the gallery and it can happen on different operating systems for different reasons. In this article, we want to teach you what to do when your WhatsApp images are not displayed in the gallery. Also, increase your social network’s safety to protect your account from a WhatsApp hack
Restart your phone
Whether you use an iPhone or an Android device, If your WhatsApp images and videos are not displayed in your gallery, the first thing you can do is to restart your phone.
Enable Media Visibility on your Android phone
If you have an Android device, regardless of any brand you use, the photos and videos that you upload should be automatically available in your gallery.
WhatsApp has a feature for increasing your security called Media Visibility and this feature hides uploaded photos from the gallery. So if your WhatsApp images or videos are not visible in your gallery, the Media Visibility feature can be the reason for it.
Note that, if you activate the Media Visibility feature, only new files will be visible in your gallery and you can’t have access to your previously hidden photos and videos. Use the following methods to make the hidden media visible.
Enable Media Visibility for all contacts
There are two ways for adjusting the settings of the Media Visibility feature. You can enable this feature for all contacts or specific contacts. To enable Media Visibility for all contacts, follow the steps below.
- Go to WhatsApp and click on the three-dot icon to enter the settings.
- Select Chats and enable the Media Visibility feature.
- Now you can see all the new files that you download on WhatsApp in your gallery.
Enable Media Visibility for a specific contact
If you can’t see the WhatsApp images and videos of a certain group or contact in your gallery, the Media Visibility feature might be inactivated for them. Follow the steps below to change it.
- Enter the chat you want on WhatsApp and click on the contact or group name.
- Click on Media Visibility and select yes.
How to fix the problem of not displaying WhatsApp images on Android
As we already mentioned, by activating the Media Visibility feature, only the new photos and videos that you download will be available in your gallery. If you want to use your old WhatsApp photos and videos and view them in your gallery, you need to use a file explorer.
There are three ways for unhiding WhatsApp photos.
Unhide WhatsApp images by transferring them from Private Folder
When you activate Media Visibility, a folder called Private Folder will be created in the WhatsApp folder. All of your files will go to that folder and you need to transfer files from that folder. To do this, follow the steps below.
- Download and install a File Explorer app on your device like FX Explorer and open the WhatsApp folder.
- Click on the Media and then WhatsApp pictures.
- Tap on the Private Folder, select all photos and then select the Cut or Move option.
- Go back to the WhatsApp images folder and paste the photos you have copied. You can take the same steps for the WhatsApp videos folder to make videos visible in your gallery.
Delete the No media file
Another way for making hidden files appear in your gallery is to delete the No media file because folders containing a No media file will not show files in other programs. To delete this file,
- Launch the File Manager application on your device And open the settings to select Show hidden.
- Now go to WhatsApp > Media > WhatsApp pictures.
- Delete the No media file and also look for the No media file in the Private folder to delete it.
Rename the WhatsApp image folder
One of the methods that you can use when WhatsApp images are not displayed in the gallery is to rename the WhatsApp image folder. To do this, use your device’s explorer app to go to WhatsApp> Media. If there’s a (.) Before the name of the WhatsApp images and videos folder, it means that the folder is hidden and you need to delete the point by renaming the folder.