WhatsApp is one of the most popular multimedia messaging apps owned by Facebook with many users from all around the world. WhatsApp is free and easy to use. That’s why many people prefer to use this app for work or communicating with their friends and family.
Anyone can have important messages and data in this app and it’s very important to protect your information on this platform to prevent WhatsApp hacking. Therefore, in this article, we want to teach you How to backup your WhatsApp data in Google Drive and teach you more details in this regard.
Why do you need to back up your data in WhatsApp?
All users need to back up their data to protect their information and keep all the necessary chats and messages. Many users realize the importance of backing up WhatsApp data. So they use cloud storage for backing up their information. Google Drive and iCloud are both popular apps for backing up data. In general, users with Android devices use Google Drive and users with iOS devices prefer iCloud to restore their data but since Google Drive provides users with 15GB of storage for free, many iOS users might also want to use Google Drive instead of iCloud for backing up their data.
How to backup WhatsApp data in Google Drive?
Whether you use an iOS or Android device, you can easily backup your WhatsApp data in Google Drive. In the following, we will tell you how to do this.
Part 1: How to back up WhatsApp data in Google Drive? (Android)
If you use WhatsApp on your Android device, you can either manually back up your WhatsApp data or set up Google Backups on your device to back up your data automatically.
The manually backup method in Google Drive:
- Open your WhatsApp application.
- Select More options> Settings> Chats> Chat backup> Backup.
Adjust the Google Drive backups settings:
- Open your WhatsApp application.
- Select More options> Settings> Chats> Chat backup> Back up to Google Drive.
- Instead of Never, select another option.
- Click on the Google Account that you want to use for backing up your data.
- Select the Back up over option and then tap on the network you want to use for your backup.
Part 2:How to back up WhatsApp data in Google Drive? (iPhone)
WhatsApp allows the iPhone users to back up data in iCloud and iPhone users are only allowed to use Google Drive to back up photos, contacts, and calendars so you can’t directly backup iPhone’s WhatsApp data in Google Drive. But if you still want to do this, follow the steps below:
- Open WhatsApp and select Settings.
- Click on the Chats option and then check the box next to “Save to Camera Roll” to save all of your photos and videos to the camera.
- Open the Google Drive app and select Settings> Backup.
- Click on the Photos option to turn it on. Now go back to the Backup page and select Start Backup to back up your photos and videos in Google Photos.
Restore WhatsApp data from Google Drive
To recover WhatsApp messages from a backup, follow the steps below:
- First, uninstall WhatsApp and then reinstall it on your device.
- Open WhatsApp and confirm your phone number.
- Here, WhatsApp will ask you to retrieve the history of your chats from Google Drive.
- Now all you need to do is to select the Restore option. This way, WhatsApp will restore your data from Google Drive.
Note: you need to make sure that you must use the same Google Account that you used for your backup. If you receive a message from WhatsApp stating that WhatsApp can’t recognize any backups, you have to check your Google account.
In this article, we discussed how to backup your WhatsApp data in Google Drive for iPhone and Android devices. One thing to keep in mind is that you can easily protect your information on WhatsApp by easily backing up your data otherwise you might miss all of your chats, messages, files, and more. Last but not least, keep in mind that you can always increase the space of your storage on Google Drive by using the CBackup service that you can use for free.